Monday, February 22, 2010

RP Opposites

Success in life requires the embodiment of opposites: to be tough and tender, to be focused and exploratory, to be dissatisfied and accepting, to be exacting and ….
 
How does unshakeable conviction allow for fallibility? How is passion reconciled with reason?
 
Are you all of one thing or many things? Do you embrace ambiguity?
 
I realise now that it does no good simply to ask these questions without also attempting personal answers. I think that you are less interested in the questions that I can raise than in the tentative responses I can make. Not to risk failure is to remove the possibility of admiration. So, I should care and not care all at once.
 
I think that I am all of many things; that I know much and understand little and that my certainties diminish with each year. To want to be ordinary takes great courage. I do not know if such a desire is admirable. I do not know my becoming self.

No comments: