Wednesday, November 07, 2007

What are you?

“What are you? A house office, SHO or what?” I find the question intensely irritating; rather than apropos the questioner finds it fundamental. I understand that experience is relevant to evaluations, but I do not see it equally relevant to observations.

 

I can see that this will be a problem in 5-10 years time with registrars and new consultants who see a job title as proxy for knowledge, experience and effectiveness. And I do not have a solution other than to become a consultant myself or learn a deeper patience. Given that NHS powers recognise that job titles cost more without truly being proxies as above, they are hoping to give people cheaper job titles and still benefit from their expertise, so becoming a consultant might be a little more difficult going forward.

 

I am not too keen either on the training rigmarole.

 

Rand observed that patience is not a virtue; it is a necessity. I agree.

 

The world will be a very different place in 10 years time, but medicine will still be more art than science and people will be as human as ever.

No comments: