Sunday, October 21, 2007

Mentoring

Our department pairs one middle grade and one consultant as mentors to two junior doctors. We have been doing this for at least 2 years now. It is an entirely unstructured process and unmonitored.

 

I have no idea what purpose it serves or was intended to serve. Nor do I know how the pairings are decided. I do not even know what mentees think of it. All of which means that it is not important.

 

It is important to me.

 

However, like all relationships, nothing exists without both parties being engaged. Mentees do not seem to recognise a need for mentors: the relationship is foisted with no apparent utility.

 

I have several times found myself more engaged with junior doctors not assigned to me because they chose to relate.

 

What advantages are to be expected from being mentored?

 

  • Technical and emotional support
  • An overview of the nuances within the department
  • A sounding board
  • Continuity

 

That relationships are sustained by reciprocity seems clear and undeniable to me and yet my experience has been that most people are not aware of this.

No comments: